February is here, which means most of us have already broken our New Year’s Resolution. (Let’s be honest…it didn’t take an entire month. We totally blew it within the first week of January.) Inc. recently released the top ten New Year’s Resolutions for 2019 and time management didn’t make the chart. This is surprising, considering time plays a very significant role in our lives. Time Management can maximize creativity, productivity, prioritizing, and our overall health.
We’ve put together a convenient list of time management tips for you…see, you’re already saving time by not having to do hours of research!
Start by writing out a list of attainable goals for 2019. By writing it down you can easily see where to prioritize your time. Most of us have money or career goals, but try to include personal goals that come from within. A few questions to ask yourself to get you started:
- What is your ultimate goal above all others?
- What kind of friend or spouse do you desire to be?
- How much more involved do you wish to be in your community?
- What values are important to you?
- How can you become the best version of yourself?
After you have created a list, create a plan of action. How you use your time and your future decisions will be driven by goal-setting.
Set Your Schedule Ahead of Time
Planning is essential when it comes to time management. Make it a priority by carving out a specific time each morning to create a to-do list. For each item, create a time limit so that you aren’t spending the majority of your day on just one task. If creating a physical to-do list isn’t your thing, there are multiple apps that can help you with time management: Wunderlist, Anylist, Summit and more.
Sure, multitasking is a nice skill to have but juggling tasks can get risky. Multitasking can divide your attention, hinder your focus, and increase your time spent on trying to achieve important tasks. This can lead to a decline in productivity, prioritizing, and mental clarity. Steve Bradt, a Harvard Staff writer, states that “people spend almost 47% of their waking hours thinking about something other than what they’re currently doing”. Single-tasking allows you to restructure your focus, save time, increase productivity, and decrease stress. Create a list of your tasks and organize them by priority, helping you decide which one to hone in on first.
There are various programs that can aid in time management, but one of the most popular and user friendly ones is Google Calendar. Unlike physical calendars and planners, Google Calendar has endless benefits and features at the palm of your hand:
- Calendar sharing can save you from double booking or a lot of back and forth
- Google Calendar will suggest times for you based on you and your guest’s availability
- Set “Private” events for personal meetings. It will display as “Busy” and keep you from having to explain another doctor’s appointment
- Add specific locations to your invite to save everyone time, stress, and confusion
- Google Calendar will send you alerts straight to your desktop, phone, or smartwatch before your meeting.
Time management can benefit everyone-whether you’re a student, a parent, or even the CEO of a large company. At Jonny On It, we know that everyone’s time is valuable. Our app was created with convenience and time management in mind. By making time management a priority, you can increase efficiency, effectiveness and productivity.